According to age old traditions, Lord Ganesh idols is to be worshiping and placed in the right spot before commencing any new task, be it personal or professional.
Ganesha is also considered to be the “remover of obstacles” and placing Ganesha idols, at home or office, is believed to add prosperity and remove all your obstacles from life, and bring good fortune in each assignment you take up, be it personal or professional.
Best place to place idol:
However, it is important to know where to place these idols and placing it in the right location and time could definitely bring a positive change to you and your fortunes. Here are a few pointers one needs to know, to get the maximum serenity and good luck.
- It is believed that northeast space in home is the best direction to offer prayers. If it is unavailable place the idols such that it faces west or north. Best suitable is north region as it is the home of Lord Shiva, father of Lord Ganesha.
- If there is no separate room for worshipping and one chooses to place idols in bedroom, then you need to place it in north east corner and see to it that your legs are not pointed towards idols while sleeping.
According to Vastu study,a traditional hindu system of architecture, Ganesha idols don’t need to be of any specific size and should be placed in such a way that it is clearly viewable in Pooja(worship) shelf. All deities should be placed such that they are clearly viewable and the devotee gets an unobstructed for of the deity.
Place to avoid:
One needs to be more careful where not to place idols in home too, few tips need to be kept in mind while placing.
- Never place Ganesha idols in south or southeast directions, as ‘Yama’ and ‘Agni’ rule in these directions respectively. If one places idols in these directions, then one does not get the blessings of Lord Ganesha. Even puja(worship) room should not be in southeast directions.
- Idols should not be placed under the stairway, as it is not an ideal room to worship and Vastu study also suggests same.
- Another aspect to note is the location of idol from sinks(washrooms). Idols should not be kept on or adjacent to toilet walls and if the Idol is placed in puja(worship) room then the room should not either be located opposite or adjacent to washrooms.
How to place the idol in the right place:1
Till now we have discussed where to place idols, now let’s look how to place Ganesha idol.
According to Hinduism, It’s not just important to place the idol at the right place but also is important to take proper care of the idol and surroundings.
- It is believed that red color is favorite of Ganesha
- Place the idol on a small wooden table or board which is covered by Red cloth.
- Decorate with flowers, garlands and other shringar (accessories)
- Take good care of the idol, keep cleaning it, if possible with Ganga River Ganges) water as its considered auspicious.